[pianotech] Simple repair - so why not done?

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Wed Aug 4 22:24:46 MDT 2010

David Boyce wrote:
  > Made me wonder, if several different  tuners couldn't
tackle a very easy
> problem, what's to be said about the general standard of
> tuner/technicians to be found in the UK these days?

You don't have the Troll market cornered there, by any means.
It happens here, very commonly, too. Many years ago, I was
grunching about the house ranting about stufh and thangs in
general, and my dad asked me what the problem was. I asked him
"Why is it that 80% of the people in ANY profession are
utterly and demonstrably incompetent at what they profess to
do?" "Oh no, that's not right", he said, " It's well over
90%".  Parsing and processing through the intervening years,
I've come to the attitude that Dad and Sam Clements were
right; There are two kinds of people. There are cynics, and
there are those that just aren't paying attention. I've tried
since, not altogether successfully, to function on the high
side of the line as I'm able. Annoying failures
notwithstanding, I continue to try to approach what I do from
this direction.

I set up a piano today after a move. A Steinway O, as it
turned out. Original action, with just hammers replaced. New
keytops and fronts, not filed to fit the keys. New strings,
with nothing done to the splitting bridges. Original
soundboard negatively crowned in killer octave, with no
discernible positive bearing. Original block with 6/0 pins,
and as sloppy a set of coils as you could have hoped for if
you'd paid a huge price for a bad example by contract. The
case looked to have been dipped in something thick and shiny,
for the categorical edification of visual aesthetics for the
casually ignorant. In other words, completely restored, and in
prime condition. A sterling example, by and large, of what I
tend to see here.

So don't despair that the quality of local talent is so lame,
but rather that you've underestimated the scope of the problem
and, if you're human, are likely an occasional unwilling
contributor yourself. If it were different, I'd be standing in
the other line.

Ron N