[pianotech] tightening balance hole was Bouncing Bostons

jimialeggio jimialeggio at gmail.com
Sun Aug 1 18:06:32 MDT 2010

> I think this was all discussed in the thread I mentioned and I'm loth
> to go over it all again so soon afterwards.

I don't think this particular aspect was discussed.  I am using hardwood
shoes and am having some trouble with this process and would like to
avoid going back to softwood.

As well, the question I'm asking is not  discussed in your web
technical. Unless I'm missing something, you simply say run the drill
backward to center on the pilot hole and drill through the hornbeam.

This will give you a hole the thickness of the hornbeam bushing. If it
fits the pin precisely it cant pivot freely, so the hornbeam has to be
relieved from the inside of the mortise.

1  How are you relieving the hornbeam from the inside to create a
"funnel" shaped hole

2 (This is question that's tripping me up) in creating that funnel
shaped hole, in order keep the hole at the bottom of the key a true
circle fit precisely to the pin, the hole has to have no depth, ie the
funnel has to come to a point at the bottom of the key.  I don't think
this is what you are doing as the hole would be elongated in quick
order.  On the other hand, if you leave the sides of the hole straight
for 1-mm or some amount to give the hole some meat before it is
relieved, then you have to introduce slop into the hole to let the key
pivot. slop = clicks.

how are you achieving the necessary freedom of movement and the snug-ish
hole?

Jim I

--
Jim Ialeggio