[pianotech] back action kit installation

Gene Nelson nelsong at intune88.com
Mon Sep 28 17:53:31 MDT 2009

  Hello list,
  For all who may be interested:
  Had the chance toinstall a new back action kit.
  Retrofitted it into a 1950's SSL.
  For anyone interested here are some of the features.
  See attached photos.
  The levers are much more massive than the currently available kits and do not really require return springs (possibly on a larger piano they may be required)- they weigh in at 32 grams with the two holes filled with lead and the leads are about 7 grams each.
  There are return springs available and there are adjustment screws for them that can easily be accessed. If used, the springs are mounted to the levers, not the tray so there is no pull on the tray when dampers come to rest on the strings.
  The levers have spoons and an adjustment capstan built into them. The sost. tabs have been reduced in size to allow easy access to the capstan adjustment screw that a drop screw tool can be used on. The tray is separate from the mounting rail and the flanges that connect the two allow both to pivot on exactly the same plane. The tray support flange is identical to the lift lever flange but it is slightly more massive and is pinned with one of their bridge pins. These tray attachment flanges have minimal friction, like the levers -  and there are no pivot pin mounting block issues to deal with.
  The tray and rail are aluminum and the tray is massive enough that no return spring is required.(not completely tested yet).
  The rail is mounted directly to the belly rail and all flanges are connected with machine screws.
  My impression is that the kit is well thought out and has all of the bells and whistles built into it that I would otherwise modify to make happen.
  Hope you'all are as impressed as I am.
  Work done at Fox and Dearing Piano Shop - thank you for the space and advice.
  Gene Nelson