[pianotech] FW: Re: [CAUT] Outsourcing bellywork

William Truitt surfdog at metrocast.net
Thu Sep 24 15:27:06 MDT 2009

I cannot think of a bellyman who will be getting the rim for the soundboard
who would not want the plate. You would be courting disaster in many
different places if you do not provide the plate. You would find out what
didn't get put back in the right place when you tried to fit the action to
the strung plate.  There is no way he could set down bearing without the
plate - the exception being the Baldwin style vertical hitch pins where the
bridge is a standardized height and you set bearing and plate height after
getting the rim back.

Did you index the plate to the pinblock and to the rim before teardown?

Will Truitt