[pianotech] (no subject)

tom tomtuner at verizon.net
Thu Sep 24 10:06:46 MDT 2009

Marshall,

Comments interspersed below

Hi Tom,
Thanks for what you posted.  I sure enjoy tuning for the schools, but the
pianos need so much attention.  There are some things I am not able to
address such as case parts is too much disrepair,but reguation issues I can
address.  I might return to the pianos just to fix a couple without it
costing too much of my time of course.

If you find broken pars in pianos would you jut fix it or charge them for
the parts i.e. broken jacks etc.

Broken parts are certainly an extra charge but jacks are probably not
broken, just unglued where the flange meets the whippen

 Most of what I'm finding onthese Everette school pinaos is lost motion
issues and possibly let off issues, key will play and in the middle of
tuning jam up where the hammer won't even lift won't repeat.

Hard to say what that problem might be, but protek on a sluggish center
might help, or maybe it's a dislodged hammer return spring, or a pencil
stuck somewhere.

  Where would I find replacement hinges for piano lids or the little bolt
that screws in the back of an everette lid to keepit in place?  Thanks
Marshall

Replacement hinges?  Check the hardware store for something compatible. As
for the screws you can use a cap screw from the hardware store on these
Everetts. They stick out a bit but not enough to worry about.

My last speech aside, a walk through with the decider listing your
recommendations is always a good idea before you submit a bid.

Marshall, I realize that you have vision challenges but my instructor at
school was Lawrence Goetsch and he could tune circles around most sighted
technicians.

I've been helping a new tech work on his speed and just developing a better
mute handling procedure alone can knock 30 minutes of your tuning time. I
worked in a sheet metal shop in the early 70's and was on piece work. An old
guy there helped me set up my tools and my body position to work more
efficiently. A few seconds for each movement adds up when you are bending
230 pieces of metal or turning 230 tuning pins and maybe turning them twice!

Study your movements. Find an economy of motion in what you do. I watch my
new tech and he's moving all over the place. He was adjusting dampers and
his head was up and down, he was putting tools down and picking them up. I
did the same task and found a sight angle where my head stayed in the same
place and the tool never left my hand.

Marshall, this is not an extraordinary accomplishment. All experienced
technicians find methods and movements that work for them and gets the job
done as quickly as possible with hopefully less wear and tear on the body.

Just something to think about,

Best wishes and keep at it my Brother.

Tom D.