[pianotech] a picture for you

Jim Moy jim at moypiano.com
Tue Sep 22 15:03:12 MDT 2009

On Tue, Sep 22, 2009 at 2:00 PM, Paul McCloud <pmc033 at earthlink.net> wrote:
>        Let's see how many responses we can get for putting the stickers
> back in the rail.

Sure, I'll contribute, seeing as I managed to accidentally bump one of
these rails off just a few weeks ago after re-pinning a wippen flange.

I started with the action in the piano, and the rail detached.  On the
bass end, I clipped some forceps onto the first pin such that the rail
would settle onto it no more than half-way through the bushing, then
put a rubber-band over the the top of it to keep it from popping off.
Then slowly moved up, gently nudging groups of five or six into place
while wiggling the rail.  I think gravity helped since I had the rail
on top of the pins.

Wasn't pretty, thankfully the customer was in the next room and I had
just showed her the part I was working on, so I guess an extra twenty
minutes didn't go noticed.  Felt bad though, and I didn't charge for
the extra time.  Then I got to tune it :-)

Is there a better way?

Jim Moy