[pianotech] Tuning Pin Replacement AFTER CA Glue

Paul Milesi paul at pmpiano.com
Tue Sep 22 13:39:45 MDT 2009

Thanks, Wim.  I appreciate your input.  There are a couple of reasons I
think it¹s a new block, but of course there¹s a chance I¹m wrong (too many
assumptions?):

Assumption #1: The piano clearly has had major work done to it, including
soundboard shimming and re-stringing, and I guess it¹s hard for me to
imagine that someone went to all that trouble and didn¹t install a new
block, especially knowing the piano dates from 1961 (they ought to have
known that as well).  Of course, the work doesn¹t look like it was all done
properly, so assuming anyone doing the job would most likely have installed
a new block could be a bad assumption?

Assumption #2: When I compare the front edge of the pinblock visible just
under the stretcher to other 1961 Baldwin Ls at the school, they¹re
different.  On the others, the beveled edge is painted black.  On the piano
in question, although beveled, it¹s not black, and I can see the bottom 3-4
thin laminate layers of the block, which looks ³new.²  This and what I can
see of the underside and side edges leads me to think it¹s a replacement.

Assumption #3: I¹m thinking whoever drilled the block perhaps didn¹t drill
properly, or used wrong sized bit, causing loose pins even when first done.
Also, I have no idea why they left the pins so high: several threads showing
on many, many pins -- not down in the plate, but well above it!

Assumption #4: I¹m assuming someone else, later, came along and drove the
couple sections of pins down that have their coils just above the plate.
Then, since that didn¹t increase the torque enough, they used CA glue.
Since driving didn¹t seem to work for someone else before, and many pins are
already close to the plate, that¹s why I¹m thinking re-pin.  Bottom line,
driving the remaining pins won¹t let me fix those that are already driven as
far as practicable.

Yes, I know what they say about the word ³assume.²  :)  I guess I prefer to
think I¹m making ³educated guesses.²  :)

Believe me, I know a new block is the best solution to my tuning dilemma
here, but it¹s not going to happen now, or for some time to come, so I¹m
trying to work with what I¹ve got, both to create a more satisfying tuning
experience for myself, and to create a better-tuned piano for the students.

Am I analyzing this situation correctly?  Any additional thoughts or ideas?
Any way to ascertain for sure if it¹s a replacement block?  Also, what about
trying to re-pin just a handful of pins and see what result I get?  Does
anybody ever do that as a ³test² for likelihood of getting a good result?

BTW, I¹ve re-pinned an entire 1960 Kawai KG before, and just went ahead and
did it, getting a good result.  Difference here is, it¹s not a private
client.  I have to carefully consider where I invest my time, with about 65
pianos staring me in the face.  :)

Paul
--
Paul Milesi