[pianotech] Tuning Pin Replacement AFTER CA Glue

Greg Newell gnewell at ameritech.net
Tue Sep 22 12:17:27 MDT 2009

New block. Then forgetaboutit.

Greg Newell

Greg's Piano Forté

www.gregspianoforte.com

216-226-3791 (office)

216-470-8634 (mobile)

From: pianotech-bounces at ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces at ptg.org] On Behalf
Of Paul Milesi
Sent: Tuesday, September 22, 2009 1:04 PM
To: PTG Pianotech List
Subject: [pianotech] Tuning Pin Replacement AFTER CA Glue

I would appreciate any advice anyone might be able to offer me regarding
replacing the tuning pins in a 1961 Baldwin L with, I believe, a replacement
pinblock that was subsequently treated with CA glue.  Will the old CA glue
cause any problems when pounding in new pins.  I think one size larger would
yield adequate torque.

The piano is in a school, and was “rebuilt” at some point in the past.  It
has “new-ish” hammers, shanks, flanges, a shimmed and refinished soundboard,
possibly recapped bridge, new-ish bass strings (still shiny).  Fundamentally
a nice piano.  It appears a new block was installed, and the piano
definitely has been restrung.  Unfortunately, the tuning pins were left
waaaaay too far out of the block, and most are flagpoling.  Some sections
were pounded down (later, I assume, by someone else?), but must be this
failed to provide adequate torque, so CA glue was used on some pins (visual
evidence, feel).

Excessive dryness from HVAC has been a chronic problem in this facility
since it opened in 1961.  I have a new Life Saver System I will be
installing.

Why re-pin?  Because I’m not a fan of pinblock restorer or CA glue.  So to
get the torque up I am thinking of trying a full re-pinning.  There’s no
money for another rebuild or move to shop, so I am trying to make this piano
serviceable where it is in the band and small group rehearsal room
(currently in use there).  With tuning stability, it’s parts indicate it
could be well-regulated and voiced, becoming a very clean, respectable
rehearsal room piano (6’1”).

Thanks for the help.

Paul
--