[pianotech] Seeking lots of ivory heads

Duaine & Laura Hechler dahechler at att.net
Mon Sep 21 21:15:09 MDT 2009

Andrew, et all,

I don't know about that - BUT - eBay has told me on the phone that all
pure ivory is completely banned - which apparently includes key tops.

They did say that they are allowing items to sell - if - the item has
less than 5% ivory.

I tried to impress on them that they took away our "organized" way of
selling and buying used key tops. Also, unlike anything else ivory,
"used" keytops only come in certain shapes, thicknesses and patinas
(rarely - not - white) and that our organization can give them those
specs. And, hopefully, tried to impress on them that "used" keytops
would be hard to get from the black market because of the previously
defined specs.

This could be "lip service" but, they said that they would take it to
their management and pass it along to the right people, consult with all
the necessary conservation groups as well as with PTG and the Reed Organ
Society and take it under advisement.

Of course, they could not give me any time frame of any decisions and/or
contacts to follow up with.

I've sent this idea (opening sales of keytops) to the home office of the
PTG and Reed Organ Society,

I'm hoping the home offices can come up with a way to lobby this reversal.

Best regards,
Duaine