[pianotech] I have a couple of questions

Diane Hofstetter dianepianotuner at msn.com
Sun Sep 20 22:01:40 MDT 2009

Marshall,

You were taught to hit the keys VERY HARD--at least 95dB+ with every hit.  If you do the same, you will probably continue to have wrist and hearing problems.

Someone said (Kathy Harrod?) that you must become your own doctor. You also need to develop your own tuning methods, with advice from other tuners as well, so that the pianos stay in as good tune as they can, without doing damage to yourself.

Obviously, I'm not saying that wrist bands and earplugs are not useful
(I use both), but we can't find a suit of armor good enough to protect us fully from misuse of our bodies.

Diane Hofstetter