[pianotech] Possible Help with Tinnitus

Gregor _ karlkaputt at hotmail.com
Sun Sep 20 02:57:20 MDT 2009

That EFT is highly controversial among psychologists ( I am psychologist). Most "studies" that show an effect are based on retrospective self reports of single cases. But these studies used no randomized groups or control groups at all. On the other hand there are very few more or less well conducted studies that reveal at least some clues on a mild effect for healing phobias. But that´s not so astonishing for psychologists because phobias belong to the mental disorders that can be cured very effective and reliable. That´s achieved by repetitive confrontation with the stimulus of anxiety. That therapy works "in vivo" as well as "in sensu". During an EFT session the subject might be concerned with the anxiety stimulus, consciously or unconsciously. Therefore it basically works like the confrontation therapy. So, no whichcraft is involved, at least for curing phobia. And like always: who cures is right! Placebo effect should be considered as well. Psychologists estimate that the effect of medicaments is based between 20 to 80 percent on the placebo effect. Usually it´s much higher with invasive methods like surgery or injection. A few years ago there was a very interesting study by German health insurances to explore the effectiveness of acupuncture. Trained professional acupuncturer applied the "right" method compared to bogus needling, i.e. they needled anywhere but not into the energetic meridians. The result was astonishing. First they found out that acupuncture works better for headache or chronical knee or back ache than medicaments . Second, there was no difference between real and bogus acupuncture. Since then German health insurance pays for acupuncture.

As far I know the reason for tinitus is not so clear in scientific research. One approach is that it is a malfunction of the brain (even when massive noise exposure was involved). The neurons are firing excessive synchronic. There is an interesting new approach to inhibit the synchronic firing by applying noises via headphones. These noises are not random but calculated by a certain algorhitmus, depending on the frequency of the tinitus. The researcher hope to cure with that neurostimulator also other disorders where synchronic neuron firing is involved, such as tremor or epilepsy. They achieved healing rates of 70 percent.

Gregor

piano technician - tuner - dealer
Münster, Germany
www.weldert.de