[pianotech] plate finish

Berley Firmin II firmin1 at bellsouth.net
Sat Sep 19 14:29:02 MDT 2009

I will never strip a plate again. I mean completely. You are left with the
rough casting requiring many hours to fill, smooth, and feather. Then you
start the painting. I have just cleaned what was there, fixed any obvious
dings, etc., and "gilded".
But now I have a new, similar problem to you. I have (for myself) a
Wurlitzer Style IX Coin Piano. The plate is a wonderful dark green, with
some pin-striping. Yes, I could perfectly match the paint color and hire a
sign painter to copy the decorative work, but a great restorer suggested to
me to just clean it up and clear coat. So I think that is what I'll do.
(Sometimes I believe things are over-restored anyway!).
Berley A. Firmin II
LaCombe, Louisiana