[pianotech] plate finish

Mark Potter bases-loaded76 at sbcglobal.net
Fri Sep 18 19:23:04 MDT 2009

Ron - No personal experience with the crinkled brown finish, or with polyester primer, but....

If the finish is intact, and the solvent used for the polyester (what is it?) isn't agressive to the point it can "lift" the previous finish, it is extremely doubtful you will encounter problems.  A safeguard, if in doubt, would be to apply a 2lb cut of dewaxed shellac to the levelled finish before applying the polyester.  I have never had a compatibility issue when using this "barrier coat" procedure, no matter what the finishes were, and have never witnessed any problems down the road.

Mark Potter