[pianotech] Another "different" piano

Joseph Garrett joegarrett at earthlink.net
Thu Sep 17 21:31:19 MDT 2009

All,
Just got back from a trip up to Battleground WA. (I seldom go to WA for many reasons.<G>) The piano was a Collard & Collard, 1902 vintage. I've been taking care of it since 1987. It can be classified as a "Turd". I've been fighting it's lack of tuning pin stability since day one. Doused the pinblock, (which is exposed), with Pin Tight back in '87 and that worked for about a year. Since then it's been shims and whatever to get it to stay. Nothing really worked until I doused the little sucker with CA glue, 6 years ago. It has been rock solid ever since!! (I think I'll set up an altar just for CA glue!<G>)
This Collard and Collard is straight, (flat), strung, w/85 notes and three large agraffes. (one for each section) These "agraffes are brass channel with the top leg higher than the lower leg. They're held in place by screws through the "flat" part of the channel. The string spacing is impeccable, because of these "agraffes". However, the tone is similar to the upper area of olde Bechsteins...very ethereal/airy kind of sound. (it kind of grows on you)
Any how, I'm convinced that the act of Polishing a Turd can be done by leaving it out in the sun until it gets hard. At which time it can be buffed to a matte finish. Of course, Sun is not a good thingee for pianers, so that is ruled out. NOW, with CA glue, I've found, the same effect can be achieved with this wonderful "stickum", (as the Wookie" calls such stuff.<G>) The matte finish can also be achieved. <G>
Just thought I would share that witcha,
Joe

Joe Garrett, R.P.T. (Oregon)
Captain, Tool Police