[pianotech] Yamaha M1?

Terry Farrell mfarrel2 at tampabay.rr.com
Thu Sep 17 15:26:04 MDT 2009

You're welcome Gary. Your mention of the zillions of different ways
vertical piano open on top has often caught my attention. The interior
parts - keypins, keys, rails, action parts, etc. are surprisingly
standard among pianos - you can take a part out of one and it will
often fit into many different piano - and even if it doesn't fit, it
looks just like the next piano. Almost all the bottom/knee boards come
off the same way. Got a few different fallboard arrangements, but no
too many. Then we get the top front piece where it seems that no two
covers are the same even on otherwise identical models of pianos
(well, maybe exaggerating a bit there - but you get the point). The
entertainment never stops!

Ever play where's the fastener on a 1940s Chickering console with the
fancy cabinets.......????? In my early days I remembering hovering
over one for 45 minutes before defeating the darn thing!

Glad I'm not the only one who has noticed that. ('Course I may be the
only one that has spent 45 minutes trying to open a piano.....)

Terry Farrell