[pianotech] Climate Systems, String Covers, and Effects on Tuning Stability & Tone

Andrew Anderson anrebe at gmail.com
Thu Sep 17 06:41:47 MDT 2009

Because the concert instruments are kept under a cover while not in-
use I have not suggested utilizing a string-cover on them.  The cover
practically only filters the really high-frequency stuff that the
artist notices but at a distance (in the audience) the filtering
probably is not audible.  People like to see the plate and I don't
think you can get anyone to keep a string-cover on when the piano is
on-stage for a performance.

The undercover is important visually as well as for restriction of air
movement.  The faculty probably would not have accepted a system
without the visual camouflage of the undercover.  The AC system moves
air quite effectively here so an undercover is imperative for stability.

The stage crew keeps the piano plugged in at all times, even during
concerts.  The climate on-stage is so different from the one
maintained by the system that unison smear begins within minutes of
unplugging.  On the plus side, concert lighting seems to have less
effect on the piano since the climate is already warmer within it.

YMMV
Andrew Anderson