[pianotech] VJ Lube

David Nereson da88ve at gmail.com
Thu Sep 17 01:45:05 MDT 2009

    Well, I don't have the exact amounts, but you can pretty
much guess.          Basically, you put a glob of vaseline
(maybe a tablespoon or two?) into a makeshift "double-boiler,"
i.e., a small metal or glass container that will float on, or
just sit in, boiling water.  You could boil water in a small
sauce pan or frying pan and mix the ingredients in an empty
small jar sitting in the hot water.
     Turn the flame on low, add a spoonful of anhydrous lanolin.
I forget where I got that -- probably at drugstore or pharmacy.
Then slowly add baby powder or unscented talc until you get a
super-saturated solution (i.e., the melted vaseline and lanolin
will not absorb any more talcum powder).
    Let it cool and "set up."  It becomes the consistency of
modeling clay, sort of.
    Scoop up with a spoon or rubber spatula and mash it into a
film can.
    One film can's worth will last 10 -15 years.  I use it on
just about anything in a piano that squeaks or groans.
    --David Nereson, RPT