[pianotech] Climate Systems, String Covers, and Effects on Tuning Stability & Tone

Gerald Groot tunerboy3 at comcast.net
Thu Sep 17 06:07:40 MDT 2009

Hi Paul,

We have the same situation with my college and similar piano makes.  The
HVAC systems are virtually worthless as far as I'm concerned in helping any
tuning situation.  Our humidity ranges from 70% to 18 %.  Terrible extremes.
We have systems in all of our concert D's and all of our Steinway B's.  We
have none in our other pianos because they are recycled from year to year
via piano sales through the dealer that provides them to us.  We do not have
under covers on any them.

In my opinion, anything that dampens the tone even a little bit during a
concert is not a good thing for the musician.  It certainly will not hurt
the piano to remove it during the performance for that period of time.  We
do have piano covers however.  The pianos are kept closed when the piano is
not in use and often kept closed up until the time of the performance.  We
keep the Dampp Chasers plugged in all the way up until the performance
begins too.

Some musicians prefer the plug to be hidden so it may be unplugged for the
hour or 2 that they are performing but, most often, we run an extension cord
hidden under one of those rubber things that go over top of a plug cord so
people won't trip on it leaving it plugged in during most performances.  It
keeps the tuning and pitch very stable throughout the school year.  Yes, the
pitch fluctuates somewhat throughout the school year.  That is impossible to
stop completely but it doesn't fluctuate nearly as badly as it would had it
not had a system installed at all.

So long as someone is willing to ALWAYS fill them when the lights are
blinking, you've got it made.  I would leave it up to you to replace the
wicks on them as necessary.