[pianotech] Subject: Re: Curved cast iron plate question

Chuck Behm behmpiano at gmail.com
Wed Sep 16 19:21:08 MDT 2009

>Hi Chuck:

Have fun with it, but I am not sure it would save you any time or be any
more accurate.

I?ve fit many a Steinway block and others over the years.  It is almost
always my practice to top fit the pinblock to the bottom of the plate as
well  as face fit it to the flange.  Like others on the list, I have seen
very warped plates every way from Sunday, but my fitting is more or less the
same for all.

With a block like yours where you know you will be taking down the ends
quite a bit, I would take some thickness measurements on the old block at
the ends.  Then I would use a belt sander or power hand planer to hog the
material down to something above the height of your sample.  Don?t be too
fussy yet.  Having either chalked or graphite the face flange and the bottom
of the plate, I would start by smacking the pinblock along its length with a
mallet against the bottom of the plate.  Then I use a 4? disc sander with 60
grit paper on it to start grinding down the high spots.  (Or use the belt
sander if you are still hogging a fair amount off.  Keep grinding down the
high spots that are indicated by the chalk or graphite marks.  You will be
wacking the pinblock against the face flange and grinding down the high
spots.  Go back and forth between the face and the top.  When the entire
length of the top of the pinblock lies flat on the plate without rocking you
are there.   Same for the face flange.

I would urge you to have immediate access to the piano (as in be working
with the piano in the same room.).  If you are regluing the block to the
stretcher and the ends (what we would call a fully fitted block).  You are
starting with a block that should be too long, too wide, and too deep, and
then cutting off the excess where needed to get an exact fit ? along with
some indexing method that will allow you to do all this and still get the
plate back where it was before fore and aft, and side to side, within a
tolerance of 1/64? or less.  If the fellow who brought you the block to do
does not have some kind of protocol for plate location, this is a recipe for
disaster.  Using the plate bolts as guides will allow a tolerance of about
?? in any direction, which is the same as no guides at all.

It is vitally important for you to have all of his teardown specs related to
the plate and pinblock ? the two of you need to know that you are on the
same page.

Good luck, Chuck!

Will<

Will - I think your method sounds better than the jig idea I had come up
with. I'm printing off your suggestions, and will be in contact with the guy
who brought me the plate and pinblock to coordinate our efforts. Thanks for
giving me some ideas to go on. Chuck