[pianotech] Subject: Re: Subject: Re: Curved cast iron plate question

Chuck Behm behmpiano at gmail.com
Tue Sep 15 18:13:08 MDT 2009

Hi Chuck:

>Let me add my two cents here.  First, I would start with a pinblock that is
the thickest you can get, since you are going to be taking quite a bit off.
You can always joint it off the bottom if the finished block is still too
thick, but you don't want to end up with a block that is way too thin.
Plate height references from the original teardown, along with string
heights and the shank center pin height are important.  Assuming that the
original plate height was reasonably correct for the action, you would want
to get it back in the ballpark, and that new pinblock is going to control
plate height for good or bad.  The rebuilder who brought the block should
have recorded this information from the piano before teardown.

!/4" is a lot, but many of us have seen it before, along with the other
weirdball stuff.

Will Truitt<

Thanks Will, and everyone else for your valuable suggestions. I'd like to
explain my plan for fitting a new pinblock to this plate. If anyone has a
better way of doing it, I would love to hear about it before I invest the
time that the method I've come up is going to take.

Without pictures, then, I'll try to explain. (Pictures are my crutch in
writing articles. If I can't explain something in words, I just snap a
picture.Unfortunately, I haven't done this procedure yet thus no pictures.)

First of all, the old pinblock fits pretty good, but it's not perfect. If
you put it in place on the plate, and put the palms of your hands on
opposite corners from each other and press down alternatively, the block
rocks slightly. So, instead of duplicating it, then having to figure out how
to eliminate the rocking, I'll make a Plaster of Paris mold of the underside
of the webbing, using Saran Wrap to keep the plaster from entering the
holes, and a dam on the sides and back (where the stringer would be), so I
can end up with a usable thickness.

With the Plaster of Paris mold, I'll make the duplicate using a jig I'm
building. The jig has a base of 1 and 1/2 inch pinblock material for
stability. It's large enough to fit the new pinblock with room to spare all
around. In each of the 4 corners and also halfway along the length of the
base on either side,  6" X 1" diameter bolts extend upward with the threaded
ends pointing up.

The Plaster of Paris mold will rest on this base, with the impression side
upward and flat side down. Over the base, with holes drilled slightly larger
than the bolts, will be a floating piece of pinblock material, which will be
suspended over the plaster mold by nuts on the bolts set so that the bottom
of this piece will be approximately an inch higher than the top of the
surface of the plaster. This floating pinblock will be drilled in a 1" grid,
and 3" screws will be driven down every square inch.

With the mold secured, each screw (with blunted tips) will be turned down
until contact is just made with the plaster. Screws that are in line with
pin holes won't be used. With all the available screws turned down to
represent the contour of the mold, the mold and the floating pinblock will
be removed, and the new pinblock, cut to fit the flange of the plate, will
be put into place with the side to be mated to the plate facing up, and
aligned according to reference points.

Then the floating pinblock will be replaced and lowered down on the bolts,
with the nuts adjusted so that the 3" screw which has been turned down the
least (indicating the high point) will just barely make contact with the new
pinblock.

Using a block of wood with oversized holes drilled every inch to fit over
the heads of the 3" screws, a mallet will be used to tap the impression of
the contour into the new pinblock all the way down until the floating
pinblock is resting on the nuts.

The new pinblock blank will then be removed from the jig, and planed until
all the blunted impressions of the contour screws have been removed. In
theory at least, it seems this new surface should mate up with the curved
surface of the plate. Final fitting will be involved as the flange edge is
ground to fit.

If this makes any sense at all, will it work? Or would there be another
simpler method for matching the wood to the metal that has been dealt with
here in the past that I missed reading about.

Thanks again to all for taking time to lend much needed support. I'm a jack
of all trades, but also a master of none, I'm afraid. Chuck