[pianotech] Steinway Leg repair

Terry Farrell mfarrel2 at tampabay.rr.com
Tue Sep 15 06:19:14 MDT 2009

Hi Phil. Unless someone come back with a precise response, although
I'm not intimately familiar with a S&S leg, I've yanked apart a few
uprights and have seen the lower part of the leg secured with dowels
or screws. You may have to plan to bring your tilter with you to
remove the caster and see what you have there. Better to have some
sort of fastener to fix, because you should be able to remove the
original, fix the hole and replace either the original or something
better. If it is a dowel...... hmmmmmm....... maybe go in there with
a long drill bit, drill it out and glue in a new dowel - possibly a
larger diameter in necessary? Just speculating here.

Terry Farrell

PS: Hey, I don't have an pianos to tune these days :-( If it would
help, I'd ride on down your way and take a look at it if you wish -
seriously.......