[pianotech] Steinway Leg repair

Phil Bondi phil at philbondi.com
Tue Sep 15 05:33:57 MDT 2009

Hi all.

I got a note from a rather new client a few days ago, and he
described a problem I have not seen before with one of the
legs, so I thought I would ask here. Here is the note he
sent to me:

By the way, the right front leg of the piano has something
wrong. The top of the leg is attached securely to the body
of the piano. However the lower part of the leg has become
loose - there must be some bolt inside that has loosened, or
so it seems. Whatever it is, it is not accessible from the
top, it has to be accessed from the bottom of the leg, where
the caster is.  In case you are not familiar with the
construction of  this Steinway leg, I thought you might
research it, so that we can discuss a plan of action when
you come. It is nothing urgent, but I think sooner or later
it will have to be fixed.

If you have any thoughts, I am listening.

Thanks,

-Phil Bondi(Fl