[pianotech] [Files] Bell upright piano. ("The iron Giant" !)

John Ross jrpiano at win.eastlink.ca
Mon Sep 14 20:36:03 MDT 2009

I find a crochet hook is handy.
You are correct, it is a real pain.
John Ross
Windsor, Nova Scotia
----- Original Message -----
From: "Marc Lanthier / Piano Lanco" <info at pianolanco.com>
To: <pianotech at ptg.org>
Sent: Monday, September 14, 2009 5:35 PM
Subject: Re: [pianotech] [Files] Bell upright piano. ("The iron Giant" !)

The spring is attached to the jack. The string is attached on the butt
assembly. Various models attach at various points. The one I have, the
string loop is attached just under the butt felt using a slot in the wood
(you have to remove the felt to see it). Another model had a hole right on
top of the butt felt. Then, the loop is passed through the hole in the jack
and hooked on the spring. It's a real pain to get it hooked as you have to
pass a small hook through the hole, grab the loop and push the spring into
the loop. It's also a pain to remove the butt assembly cause you have to
unhook it. Always check to make sure that you have this system as the
whippen assembly won't come off until braking the string or destroying the
spring (how do I know?).

Anyway, the spring / loop action constantly pulls the jack under the butt so
you have a ready to go jack on every repetition. These actions repeat just
as well as most grands.

Thanks

Marc Lanthier