[pianotech] sealing pin blocks

Joseph Garrett joegarrett at earthlink.net
Mon Sep 14 16:35:59 MDT 2009

Al asked: "Hi All,

I don't remember seeing anything about sealing a new pinblock, so I'd like to post a few questions.

1. How many of you use a sealer of some kind when you install a new pinblock?

2. If you do, do you think it adds to the stability or longevity of the pinblock?

3. Has anyone done some tests to verify the results.

Thanks in advance,"

Al,
I have posted a few times, my method/philosophy of pinblocks. Short version: 1. I never drill all the way through a pinblock!! 2. I always seal the pinblock, completely. 3. I even put a finish, (of sorts), on the plate bushings.
I have been doing this for over 30years. Many of them, I still tune. There has been no measurable change in tuning pin torque on any of them! (period)
One final thing. What makes an exemplary piano? IMO, it is close attention to every detail. Hence the European pianos hold a far higher reputation than do any others. Of course, YMMV.<G>
Joe

Joe Garrett, R.P.T. (Oregon)
Captain, Tool Police
Squares R I