[pianotech] Stainless steel piano wire

Thomas Cole tcole at cruzio.com
Sat Sep 12 23:47:11 MDT 2009

Stainless steel might make good piano wire but I think it would depend
on what sort of stainless we're talking about. There are different
formulations depending on the application - to make it tougher, harder,
more resistant to wear or corrosion. Various combinations of ingredients
have been used including carbon, manganese, silicon, chromium, tungsten,
vanadium, and nickel. Many of the more exotics have been used in
custom-made knives, some of which are extremely hard to sharpen but hold
an edge very well. I have no idea whether this sort of toughness would
do well as a piano string, however.

Mostly what makes it "stainless" is the chromium and this is the main
ingredient (besides iron) in the cheaper grades. It would be interesting
to experiment with some of the other alloys to see if there are any
advantages to them.

Tom Cole