[pianotech] Charges re. Odd Pianos was Bird-Cage stuff - oops

Conrad Hoffsommer hoffsoco at luther.edu
Thu Sep 10 05:21:33 MDT 2009

On 9/10/09, Conrad Hoffsommer <hoffsoco at luther.edu> wrote:
>> On 9/9/09, David Love <davidlovepianos at comcast.net> wrote:
>>> Joe:
>>>

>>> Not having tuned a lot of square grands in my time what exactly is the
>>> challenge?

>>> David Love

Sorry if this is a duplicate, I tried to send it, but it hasn't shown up yet.
Let's see what happens this time.

>> The strings run obliquely from side to side. Tuning pins are set to
>> the rear of the case so you have to somehow reach over and find the
>> right OVAL headed tuning pins.
>>
>> Before I found an old double headed tip, it was a real challenge to
>> find the right angle with the "adapter tip" duct taped to a long
>> regular star tip. (you only have two choices)

> Ooops...

> It ain't too bad now. I remove the damper stop shelf so I can actually
> see the pins without climbing into the case (I'm vertically
> challenged), then I put front rail punchings on Cs and Fs, since I
> usually can't read the plate markings which are sometimes there.  The
> double headed tip has the oval orientations at 90°, so it's much
> easier to find a handle direction which doesn't conflict with the lid,
> just flip it over... ;-}

BTW, the Haines square in my room is about 40" front to back and I
have a 32" sleeve, so using a T-handle is out of the question...

--
Conrad Hoffsommer, RPT - Keyboard Technician
Luther College, 700 College Dr.,