[pianotech] Baffles

Bruce Dornfeld bdornfeld at earthlink.net
Wed Sep 9 20:04:59 MDT 2009

Greetings David, Baffles may be the solution for your client's problem, but
not the only one.  The Grand Piano Muffler is built by its inventor, Steve
James, RPT of the Chicago Chapter.  I have seen how it is installed and how
it works.  Its effect is much like the felt muffler in a vertical piano; it
is the same thing applied to the grand.  If I said it is still a work in
progress, that would apply not to the finished product, but to the
installation kit and instructions for the piano technician.  Since the
custom fit for each section of stringing needs to be exact, it takes a chunk
of time.  Steve said the first time installer should plan on 5 to 8 hours,
perhaps this time has gone down in the months since he presented it to our
chapter.  We saw a Kawai grand with the muffler in it.  It can be easily
engaged or disengaged.  The sound contrast was excellent.  I know you deal
with some high end pianos and clients; this is an excellent high end option.
See grandpianomuffler.com.

Bruce Dornfeld, RPT

bdornfeld at earthlink.net

North Shore Chapter