[pianotech] Hearing Improvement

Kent Swafford kswafford at gmail.com
Tue Sep 8 16:39:31 MDT 2009

The concept is much the same whether you are piano tuning or listening
to music in a car. Improving the signal to noise ratio is good.
Improving the signal to noise ratio is something you tend to learn if
you do audio recording.

To hear the details of music in a car, you want to turn up the music
to be louder than the road noise. But doing so makes the music
dangerously loud. Put in hearing protection and both the music _and_
road noise are attenuated. If the hearing protection is chosen to mask
most of the road noise, then when you turn the music up, you safely
hear the music without the road noise. Blaine knows of what he speaks.

Piano tuning is much the same. Mask the environment sounds with
hearing protection, then pound away on those test blows.

Kent Swafford