[pianotech] Piano on Soft Carpet

Floyd Gadd fg at floydgadd.com
Sat Sep 5 06:39:09 MDT 2009

I've read of a method of levelling grandfather clocks on soft carpet that
uses flat head screws driven through the carpet into the floor such that the
heads of the screws are level with the top surface of the carpet.  The clock
sits on on the heads of the screw rather than on the carpet, and thus is
stable.  The screws can be adjusted to achieve a perfectly level clock. If
this piano has no casters, perhaps its points of contact with the floor are
large enough that a method like this might work.  Trying to balance casters
on the heads of screw would of course be an exercise in futility.

Floyd Gadd
Manitoba Chapter