[pianotech] Test Blows

David Love davidlovepianos at comcast.net
Fri Sep 4 08:06:17 MDT 2009

Patton does teach that shank trick, not too much pressure, just enough to
offset the string by a couple mm's.  He uses that only in the capo section.
Interestingly, you find that when you test for stability that way that too
hard a "test blow" can actually destabilize the string segments.  A couple
of firm but not crashing blows is all I find is necessary (though it can
depend on the piano and how easily it renders).  Tune mf, listen p, test f
but not fff.   The lower in the piano you go the less firm the test blow
needs to be as the increased mass and extrusion of the larger diameter and
longer strings tends to settle and stabilize things more easily.   Use two
fingers  together (or better two fingers and thumb pinched together at the
tips) on the test blows to lessen the impact on a single finger and joint.

David Love

www.davidlovepianos.com

In a message dated 9/3/2009 9:30:34 P.M. Central Daylight Time,