[pianotech] bushings migrating

Joe DeFazio defaziomusic at verizon.net
Thu Sep 3 22:26:46 MDT 2009

Hi Laura,

If you and your client decide to treat this problem in a serious way,
including reshaping or replacing hammers and restringing the treble
(all good ideas), I would urge you to take a hard look at the capo bar
(bring a mirror and flashlight).  Reshaping it to be a more gentle
curve can be beneficial in allowing the string to make its change of
direction over a slightly larger radius.  I believe that this can in
some cases reduce string breakage.  I aim for a gentler curve on the
tuning pin side of the capo, morphing into a tighter curve at the
speaking length side of the capo (for cleaner termination).  Reshaping
the capo also allows you to get rid of string grooves which can cause
sizzling sounds and may contribute to false beats.  A more pointy capo
will groove more quickly, and the grooves themselves increase
friction.  So, it's just good practice to re-dress the capo when
restringing.  Just don't go too far, as you may reduce downbearing.

Everyone is different, but as for me, I always enjoy a job about 20
times more if I am doing it with another technician.  It's more fun,
and both parties usually learn something.  Sometimes I will go to
assist a less experienced technician, and sometimes I will partner
with an equally skilled colleague on a job.  Next week, I will bring a
colleague along for a particular job in which his skills exceed mine -
I'm quite sure I'll learn something on that job.  I'm not sure of your
experience level, but if it turns out that you have never done some of
these things before, I would suggest finding an experienced colleague
and tackling them together.  Just something to think about.

Good luck with it,

Joe DeFazio
Pittsburgh