[pianotech] New piano video on Youtube

Rob & Helen Goodale rrg at unlv.nevada.edu
Tue Sep 1 17:15:10 MDT 2009

I have uploaded a new senseless youtube video.

Several years ago a local "pee ano rebildeen shop" closed for good.  Over the years it had been operated by a number of people who shall remain nameless.  As far as I know they are pretty much out of the business which is a good thing.

Next the local music store took over thinking that they could somehow enter into the rebuilding business.  The deal included all the remaining inventory .  They hired someone to run it who made a few improvements but still failed to turn a profit.  It mostly operated as a refinishing facility for a couple years until that too shut down.  Eventually it become nothing more then a storage facility where junky pianos from trade-ins were kept.  It was also stuffed with customer-owned pianos put into paid storage or were sent in for repair but were later abandoned.  This accumulation went on for YEARS, perhaps decades until the place was absolutely stuffed with old pianos.

At last the music store had enough.  One of the store managers who was a good friend, RIP, went down and hand picked about a dozen pianos that had some resale potential.  I was then given permission to take anything remaining that I wanted.  I ended up with a pick-up truck load of good to fair equipment and supplies and then picked out about 30 pianos that I felt had potential to profitably repair and sell.  They even delivered them to my shop for free because it was cheaper then disposing them!  End the end I actually made a tidy fortune.

What remained was probably another 40 old worthless pianos that had no value whatsoever.  Ultimately 5 roll-off dumpsters were required to discard them.  Many of these were smashed into bits.  This was partly done to make them all fit into the dumpsters but MOSTLY because it was a lot of fun!  I spent a good amount of time "helping" and brought my video camera along for the ride.  Included is a delightful scene of me playing a piano while the moving guys throw it off the loading dock.

It's about 5 minutes total, Enjoy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PydjE5yFPIc

Rob