[pianotech] pianotech Digest, Vol 11, Issue 6

Israel Stein custos3 at comcast.net
Tue Sep 1 14:58:40 MDT 2009

Sep 09/01/09 12:50 Gerald Groot wrote

Hi List,

First of all, it is NOT a squeak. It is a creaking sound. I've encountered this on numerous occasions it seems, mostly on Kawai grand's. This particular piano is a Kawai KG1D Serial 1312231. Somewhere, in the mid to back of the action, it is creaking when the soft pedal is released. NOT when it is depressed. On the last piano that I had do this, I had a hell of a time trying to locate the problem and in fact, never did find out what the cause was. I even removed a couple of the dags thinking they were the problem but that didn't help at all. Something sounds as if it is giving to me, but, WHAT?
Ger,

Don't be so sure that the sound is coming from where you think it's coming. Sound travels along surfaces and can be misleading as to it's real source if you only rely on your ears. Just this past Sunday I had to deal with a "knock" in the damper pedal of a Steinway M in my shop. I could have sworn that it was coming from the underlever tray. Turned out to be the trap lever leaf spring that wore a groove in the lever. When you step on the pedal, it slides out of the groove, and goes "knock" when you release the pedal and it pops back into its groove... I have had the sort of supposed "keybed/keyframe" creaks you describe drive me batty for hours - only to discover later that they were originating in the trapwork, in the lyre, even in the legs. Stepping on the soft pedal stresses all those components of the piano - and all of them are capable of "creaking". And very often the sound appears to be coming from a place different than its real origin... So maybe you should expand your search...

If you are still sure that it is coming from within the action cavity, try removing the top action and the keys - and working the pedal with the keyframe alone, or with the keyframe and top action, without the keys. That might help you isolate the source of the creak more easily, if it really is where you think it is - since the sound is unobstructed by the keys and you have more access to the keyframe/keybed interface.

Israel Stein