[pianotech] Piano too loud!

wimblees at aol.com wimblees at aol.com
Mon Nov 23 19:49:42 MST 2009

Matthew

There are 2 problems. One is the acoustics in the room. If it's large, loud room, there is not much you can do to quiet the piano. Second, the owner thinks of the player system as if it is a stereo, where the volume can be turned down, without effecting the operation of the system. The piano is a mechanical instrument, and a certain amount of volume is required for the piano operate. Even if a pianist would play it, there is only so much he can do to play softly, and still have all the notes play.

One way to soften the sound is to super voice the hammers. Have you ever done steam voicing? It is a some what permanent fix, in that even though the hammers can be brought back up, it's not like they can be changed right away. I would not do anything with the regulation,because that would cause the system not to operate correctly.

My other suggestion is to tell the customer what I just said about it being a mechanical instrument, and if he wants to carry on a conversation with his clients, that he go to another room.  (Say it nicely and more diplomatically, of course.)

Wim