[pianotech] Gated communities

William Truitt surfdog at metrocast.net
Sun Nov 22 07:00:33 MST 2009

To the list:

Well, we have drifted into politics, but so be it for the moment.  I'll try
not to slash anybody's tires or threaten family pets with my comments.  J

I, for one, find Ric's comments intelligent and thoughtful.  I don't think
he has an axe to grind here or even takes any pleasure in making comments
about America that others find negative.  I would hope that others would
really listen to what he has to say and give it some thought, rather than
enter into Shoot the Messenger  Mode as some have.

It is my observation that Americans tend to have a somewhat myopic and
self-centered view of themselves, and they expect the world to see them
through their eyes rather than their own.  And Americans tend to forget that
the needs and concerns of other nations and cultures are often different
than ours, and give them too little consideration.   That they are different
from ours does not make them wrong, or us wrong.

We live in times that are so politically fragmented and combative that we
have largely stopped truly listening to each other, and we mistake screaming
and accusing each other for communication.   Moving forward requires that we
actually listen to one another and seriously consider the merits of
another's point of view.   Democratic societies disintegrate when this
willingness to listen ceases.

Recently, I heard a comment that I found very profound:  "The lifeblood of
democracy is compromise.  Without it, the only thing that remains is force."
I ask my readers to give that some thought.  Every day of our lives is
filled with compromise, and there is good compromise and bad compromise.
Anyone who has been married or has children knows the word well.

Like others, I have customers in gated communities.  They are good people,
bad people, and everything in between; just like the rest of the world.  And
the reasons they have for choosing to live in these places are varied.

Mr. Vetter makes the point that "They are people trying to escape the asylum
we call our modern culture".   Which speaks to Ric's point that "where
pulling away from each other trying to find an illusionary little safe house
village where they
can attempt to close the outside world off.  They will start (already have
in not a few cases) to make their own rules for society, their own mini
governments and their own little legal, police and defense systems.... a
tendency that will continue.  Its quite sad to see Americans finding more
and more ways of not having more to do with each other rather than building
inter community relations, ties... keeping the glue that has defined what an
"American"  is fresh and holding strong. "

Each of us has the right to make the choice of where we live and the reasons
why we live there.  Some of us choose to move to the inner city to be an
engaged citizen trying to resurrect communities with deep problems.  Others
move to gated communities and disengage from that part of our society that
they see as failing, and have essentially abandoned the rest of the society,
choosing to server their self interest only, and abandoning the problems of
the larger culture.  This is particularly unfortunate in that these
successful  people are able to live in these communities because they are
intelligent and capable.  Without their participation in the larger society,
we lack the benefit of these talents, and the society is poorer for that.
So there is a cost to the continued health of our society when more and more
people opt out.   If this kind of fragmentation continues, we become a
society of US and THEM.  Indeed, we already are becoming just that.  It is
an indisputable statistical fact that the rich are getting richer, and
everybody else is getting poorer - more and more wealth is concentrating in
the hands of fewer and fewer people, and that has accelerated during this
great economic crisis that we still find ourselves in.  Who amongst us piano
technicians does not feel assaulted by these economic changes?  It is not to
our benefit when fewer and fewer people feel they can afford our services.

Will Truitt