[pianotech] Weickert Felt by Ronsen

erwinspiano at aol.com erwinspiano at aol.com
Fri Nov 20 08:10:42 MST 2009

  David
 I'll add that Weikert felt will handle  appropriate amounts of solution. But I caution using the heavy slolutions of 3  to 1. except down in the staple area. They simply don't need it. My experience mirrors yours David. The Felt  is a truly unique felt with alot of spring and strength. I find palstic too rigid in most cases and once it has reached a certain point it's not possible to rinse it out and it's difficult to needle and get desired tonal results. SO I use it sparingly & mostly in the top octave or so.
  Dale

Straight acetone works also as a solvent for lacquer.  BTW my own solution
or hardening these hammers is 10:1 through the tenor and bass and about 7:1
n the treble.  The last set I got definitely needed hardening but was
roduced, apparently, at a time when the sets were coming out too soft.
aven't seen a recent set.  I think 4:1 is too strong especially since
acquer continues to harden over time.  Best to wait to apply a 2nd coat for
t least a couple of weeks if possible.  Of course, it also depends on the
olids content of your lacquer.  I don't care for plastic as a hardening
gent either.  For some reason it just produces what seems to be an
nflexible hammer and a type of hardness that I don't like.
David Love
ww.davidlovepianos.com