[pianotech] regulating S&S (ex-) reproducer actions

pmc033 at earthlink.net pmc033 at earthlink.net
Thu Nov 19 06:00:35 MST 2009

Hi, David:
	I'm not a rebuilder, but I'll put in my $.02.  The difficulty with a
longer key lies in the geometry.  The hammers check because the arc of the
backcheck intersects the arc of the hammer tail.  The extra length of the
key makes the radius longer than a regular key, and so the arcs don't come
together until the key has moved a greater distance thru that arc.  Draw a
simple diagram with two different key lengths showing a side view and
you'll get it.
	Also, beware the spring strength.  If you have a short blow distance, the
spring doesn't "wind up" as much, so it will take a greater tension to lift
the hammer.
	FWIW.
	Paul McCloud
	San Diego