[pianotech] Julius Bluthner rebuild recording

Richard Brekne ricb at pianostemmer.no
Fri Nov 13 17:24:49 MST 2009

Thanks very much Stéphane.

I forgot to remind all in that first post that this is the Blüthner from
1854 and listeners should not be expecting a modern sound. Tho it is a
new soundboard, it was designed to keep pretty close to home base....
with an attempt to morph into a more modern sound in the upper treble
regions... which I think ended up working pretty well.

I'm very much interested in changing out all the pure sound wire with
modern wire just to compare the sound. I have to admit I'm fascinated
with the very low tension approach... and wonder just how big and round
a sound one could achieve with enough development in that direction....
sadly I just plain don't have the time to do much of this kind of work.
I'd love to get more into this.

Cheers
RicB

    Richard,

    Your Blüthner project sounds like a success.  The piano is very
    musical, and
    retains that oldish feel that so easily disappears when you do severe
    restoration.  Very agreeable also is the sound that comes out when the
    pianist asks for volume.  Too often, in old pianos, you would get or
    harsh
    or confuse sound.  Nothing like that here, but only flavor magic.

    Best regards.

    Stéphane Collin.