[pianotech] Whitening yellowed ivories

Tom Servinsky tompiano at bellsouth.net
Sun Nov 8 04:11:15 MST 2009

Here in S. Florida, the heavy peroxide treatment does the trick with one afternoon of sunlight. I use 35%% peroxide, which as Robin correctly points out, will turn skin white immediately...burn. My method of application is to  put the solution in a spray bottle and gently mist over every hour. Usually 3-4 hrs of applications does the trick removes all discolorations and leaves a very nice looking piece of ivory.
Also keep in mind that peroxide solutions of this intensity has a very little short shelf life with exposed to light. It is absolutely necessary to store the solution in a totally dark area. Do not simply store this on a one of your shelves. It will go bad in a very short period.
Another warning, peroxide of this intensity also comes with some very strong vapors. It's best to do this outside and be especially careful of not getting it on anything that you don't want ruined. Nasty stuff.
Tom Servinsky