[pianotech] repinning damper flanges

PAULREVENKOJONES at aol.com PAULREVENKOJONES at aol.com
Fri Nov 6 01:48:02 MST 2009

Use the smallest pin size you have as a "leader pin".

In a message dated 11/6/2009 2:24:59 A.M. Central Standard Time,
da88ve at gmail.com writes:

Re: this month's Journal article on replacing upright damper
flanges -- Mr. Dornfeld didn't mention the pinning part of the
job.  I know new damper levers have the flanges already on them,
but in the article, he's replacing only the flanges.
I  have the darndest time repinning them.  It seems no matter
what you  do with the spring, it forces the flange to sit out of
align with the hole  in the birdseye, and you have to hold the
lever and flange in a guessed-at  position where you hope the
holes are aligned, then push the center pin in  1/32" at a time
until you see the point of it appear in the center of the  flange
bushing before you push it "home."    If you don't, it's  too
late -- the pin has already damaged the bushing or pushed it out
altogether and now ya gotta re-bush the flange.  It's so "iffy"
compared to repinning most other action parts.
Whattaya  do?
--David Nereson,  RPT