[pianotech] Upright Piano Dolly

David Ilvedson ilvey at sbcglobal.net
Tue Nov 3 11:19:05 MST 2009

I like the Heavy Duty dolly from Paul Jansen & Son.   I don't use a tipper.   I remove all case parts I can easily, put a folded piano blanket next to the piano, then lift and tip the piano on it's side.   It ends up on an incline on the blanket, which makes it easier to tip back.   Everything is accessible.   I hold the dolly as far up as possible (as far as possible towards the bass or treble) and mark a pencil circle through the dolly hole.   One hole on the bottom.   Set dolly down and drill through bottom board.   Align dolly again and insert machine threaded bolt that fits just easily.   Flat washer and lock nut with nut.   Tighten.   Do same thing at other end.   Then change bit to match correct lag bolt for back.   A long bit is helpful to not have drill hit dolly.   Drill all holes...usually 2...apply a lube to bolt and drill into hole.   I don't drill through the side into the foot...Then if the angle of the piano is sufficient (folded blanket) I can usually pull it back over and down.   I'm using my chest against the case sides and legs to lower.   If I can find a helper I will...

David Ilvedson, RPT
Pacifica, CA  94044