[pianotech] tuning accuracy

Marshall Gisondi pianotune05 at hotmail.com
Sun Nov 1 06:49:23 MST 2009

Hi Tom,

Thanks for what you wrote about small movements in tuning.  I will do that when tuning unisons make little tiny movements. I find it easier to overshoot a lot when a pin is loose and I'm not expecting it "whoa Im in the next zip code."   I've noticed an improvement in my hand strength and forearm strength since I've been tuning and I've already had pretty strong hands from doing other physical work over the years.

As for tuning hammer, I have a schaff 21C and this other one the school provided us which is a Schaff I'm guessing.  Are these good hammers?  I also noticed that on a grand it's easier to make th smaller movements due to the position of the hammer and my arm etc.

My customer yesterday was intrigued I coudl tell about tuning, kept asking questions about piano if I played etc. So I decided to let her try tuning a unison with my supervision of course.  So I put her had on the hammer handle and mine over hers so I could move the hammer. She made a comment abuot nudging the hammer, and she understood our small movements that we make and I think was amazed.

Thanks so much. I still think you guys are great

Marshall Gisondi Piano Technician
Marshall's Piano Service
pianotune05 at hotmail.com
215-510-9400