[pianotech] SSM evaluation

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Wed May 27 15:21:52 MDT 2009

Gene Nelson wrote:

> With this in mind: (out of curiousity)
> Which way would you move the alaquot on this SSM in the F5 area of the
> board where negative bearing was measured with the intent of reducing
> negative bearing - the string slopes up toward the alaquot from the bridge.

I likely wouldn't mess with it at all, and I most certainly
wouldn't give an owner, or prospective buyer, any hope
whatsoever that I could improve it without replacing the board.

> Could doing this eliminate the minimal available crown of about 1mm that
> was measured?

If any positive bearing is attained by any means, it will
certainly deflect the board. so, yes, the crown will go down,
likely to negative. Question: when the piano was set up, what
was the condition of the killer octave, regarding crown and
bearing? Since I sort of doubt the bridge got significantly
shorter through the years, it must have originally had either
a whole lot of crown and minimal bearing, or little to no
bearing and reasonably good crown.

> Could an added response possibly be that the positive front bearing at
> the top treble part of the bridge would increase?
> Gene

Anything's possible, they tell me, but I don't know what good
that would do without net positive bearing and a board that's
supporting it.
Ron N