[pianotech] Hammer Line Issue

Matthew Todd toddpianoworks at att.net
Thu May 7 17:05:14 MDT 2009

I serviced the Kawai today.

I adjusted the capstans, letoff and checking.  It went really well.  Although, when I was doing the letoff, I couldn't get the piano to do 1/8''.  When I did 1/8'', and then pressed the note pianissimo, it would double strike, so I did just a little bit more letoff and the issue resolved.

Here is a bigger question.  After I finished, I played a Bach piece, and one thing I did notice was that it was somewhat difficult for me to play really soft.  Is there something more I need to do to obtain this?  Or, maybe to state it better, I could play "forte" and even "piano", but to obtain a "mezzo piano" was difficult.  What can I do that would help with the dynamics?

Thanks again for all your help,

TODD PIANO WORKS
Matthew Todd, Piano Technician
(979) 248-9578