[pianotech] Fwd: grand hammer roller problem

Jon Page jonpage at comcast.net
Sat Feb 28 13:30:49 PST 2009

>I am about to fit a new set of rollers on 100yr old piano, but the inserts
>are too thick for the slots in the hammer shank.
>I do not want to put them out of shape by forcing them in .  What is best
>way to compress the inserts?

You might expand the slot by inserting a tall filler slat and chasing
alongside with an Exacto Razor Saw blade. If that makes the slot
too wide file or sand the core to fit the slot. You could also compress
them slightly with pliers or in a vise.

Make a caul to press the roller/knuckles to standardize the height of
them to the shank. Rollers pressed in with varying heights will cause
slight ratio and regulation anomalies.
--

Regards,

Jon Page