[pianotech] Use of McLube

Norton-McElroy nortonmcelroy25 at centurytel.net
Sat Feb 28 11:17:09 PST 2009

I am an amateur new to the list, doing a rebuild of a Kawai 600.  It has
been rebushed and repinned as well as getting new knuckles.  I've been
browsing the posts for the last month and enjoying them.  I really
appreciate the wealth of experience represented in these posts.

I do wish there were a way to search the entire archive at once, but as far
as I can see we are reduced to doing a month by month search.  I've gone
back 4 years and only seen McLube mentioned once.

I have seen McLube recommended numerous places but never seen any info on
actually using it.  I have a can of 1708L.  The can states that it can be
used on jacks, wippens, and bridge tops as a graphite substitute.  It also
states that several coats may be required.  I have several questions: how
much is enough?  Is burnishing useful?  (I see little specs of dust dried in
the film which may cause friction).  If I were to use this on bridge tops,
should this only be done without strings in place?

I guess my final question should be: is this now the preferred treatment for
jacks, or should I throw this can away and use something else?  I am
planning to use this in conjunction with teflon on the new knuckles.

Thank you for your help.

Joe