[pianotech] Tuning test idea - fly or not ?

Ed Sutton ed440 at mindspring.com
Sat Feb 28 08:00:48 PST 2009

Duane-

The chances of the forks working for a piano aren't very good.
First, you will need a good set of forks (Walker blue is probably the best
available, though perhaps you can find a used set of Deagan forks.)
Second, you will need to control for temperature. Liquid crystal aquarium
thermometers are cheap, and work well for thse purposes. (My A fork is
calibrated to pocket temperature, and fits in a leather pouch with the
thermometer patch on the outside.) How to control the temperature of 12
forks will be your experimental discovery! Aluminum is too temperature
sensitive.
You could make a little box resonator to hold a fork and project the sound.
But meanwhile you will have the issue of inharmonicity to deal with. You
might get better results tuning to the lower octave, say C3-C4, using the
forks at a higher partial. This may be the "catch." I don't know how far off
the inharmonicity would throw the readings. You would have to buy the forks
and experiment, comparing the results to your ETD for a start. It might
depend on what piano you are tuning.
And you also will need to do a very accurate tuning to the forks. You'd need
to use a test note, such as the F2-A4 test.

Meanwhile...take a look at Eric Nickiforoff's One-Two-Three! temperament in
the March Journal. This is a great beginner's temperament. The video
demonstration is already up at http://www.ptg.org/journal-media.php. (And
this would be a free start...you'll be lucky to find a set of forks for less
than $150.)

In April we are publishing a temperament sequence by Jim Coleman which uses
A2 and runs from C#3 to C#4. Jim feels that many people benefit from the
lower pitches and slower beat rates of this sequence.

Duane, take your time and enjoy all the fine vibrations!

Ed Sutton