[pianotech] Fwd: Erwins key dip gauge

David Love davidlovepianos at comcast.net
Sat Feb 28 07:22:43 PST 2009

I believe Overs targets 10.25 dip for his actions.  Ten mm is a nice target
but in practical terms, especially when rebuilding actions, you have to
compromise at times.  Moreover, many pianos in their original form were not
designed for 10 mm dip.  Original Steinway actions with higher action ratios
call for shallower dip.  Some pianists prefer the older style actions with
shallower dip, higher ratios, lower strike weights and relatively low front
weights.  The standard has changed but not all tastes have.  Additionally,
when you are replacing parts or going with a high strike weight action for
tonal reasons (though I rarely find the need for that) without the use of
assist springs or maxing out the front weights, a compromise of the key dip
may be appropriate to accommodate a choice of parts and key ratios that
gives you a low enough action ratio to get the weight and balance in order.
Adhering rigidly to 10 mm dip or 10.2 or 9.5 or whatever often won’t serve
you the best.  Often splitting the difference between changes in dip and
blow is required.

The important lesson, especially these days where weight and balance
concerns can often trump adherence to regulation requirements, is to be sure
that you start with targeted regulation specifications and work backwards to
weight and balance requirements always keeping in mind the tonal goals of
the instrument.  Inevitably small compromises in each area may be necessary.

David Love

www.davidlovepianos.com