[pianotech] Regulation Question

Michael Magness IFixPianos at yahoo.com
Sat Feb 28 06:38:19 PST 2009

On Fri, Feb 27, 2009 at 7:13 PM, Matthew Todd <toddpianoworks at att.net>wrote:

>   I was working on a Baldwin SF10 today.  On several of the keys, I could
> play the note if I put my finger on the key first, then lifted my hand as I
> played the note.  I could play forte or louder this way.  But if I struck
> the key with my finger, the hammer would not go up.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> If yes, what could be the issue?
>
> ***TODD PIANO WORKS*
> Matthew Todd, Piano Technician
> (979) 248-9578
> http://www.toddpianoworks.com

Hi Matthew,

Instances like this is where you as a technician must learn to analyze what
is happening and why. You are not working in a vacuum situation in this
instance. Everything you need to figure out the problem is right in front of
you.

You state that several of the keys have this problem, which means that the
preponderance of the keys don't. You, as the tech on site, should be able to
do a comparative analisis of why, between those that function properly and
those that don't.

Those of us who came up prior to the internet and cellphones learned to do
this, you should too!

I'm not saying you shouldn't ask questions, I'm saying you should attempt to
figure it out for yourself, this is what makes you a true technician. If you
simply can't or the result was unsatisfactory or satisfactory then post with
the problem and what you did to see if there are other ways to do it or how
to do it.

Mike

--
I intend to live forever. So far, so good.
Steven Wright

Michael Magness
Magness Piano Service
608-786-4404