[pianotech] Additional Information Regarding False Beats

Richard Brekne ricb at pianostemmer.no
Fri Feb 27 17:32:31 PST 2009

Hi Paul.

My understanding is that at present most folks reading pianotech and
caut subscribe to the idea that loose pins <<cause>> false beats in
pianos. Which as far as I can determine by direct observation of the
condition from several angles which isolate the condition in real pianos
is simply not true.  I'm also aware that many believe that false beats
are caused by rust on strings, general termination problems, variations
in string thickness and density... etc. etc.

        "I know  of course this is at odds with the popular notion at
        present.... but the  data  in front of me is just plain to
        difficult to  ignore."

    Ric:
    What, in your opinion, is the "popular notion at  present..."---the
    "loose pin theory"?
    Paul